Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Do you believe in magic?

Caitlyn has gotten to an age where she not only immerses herself in imaginative play, she also creates elaborate scripts and works through abstract problems in such creative ways. It is so much fun to watch, and there are times I have to stifle giggles because I don't want her to think I am laughing at her.

She has recently become obsessed with magic- she loves magic tricks, and she really, really loves to make things disappear. At first, I think the draw was the magic wand and the fancy words, but now I think she enjoys the showmanship of it. Anyway, she likes to put on magic shows, and the most prominent trick is to make things disappear. And then, of course, reappear. She has also expanded her magical vocabulary to include exotic made-up words that I wouldn't begin to know how to spell!

Just the other night, she was doing a magic show for Jason and I. She'd grabbed a pair of Lorelei's bloomers, and she was waving a wand, chanting and making them disappear underneath a pillow. After a minute, that trick got old, so she came up with a way to make it more interesting.

As we watched, she waved her magic wand . . .
"Abracadabra (insert more magical gibberish here)! Make these (winding up her little arm and scrunching up the bloomers) panties DISAPPEAR!"

With that, she threw them into the bedroom, ran over and slammed the door.

"Ta Da," she smiled. "Now no one can see them!"

The wind up and the throw were hilarious. I wish I could convey the concentration and effort that went into making those panties disappear. Caitlyn was delighted with her trick, Lorelei was delighted with Caitlyn and we were delighted with the whole shebang.

These girls amaze me each day!

No comments:

Post a Comment