Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The View from the Backseat

We do a lot of things a bit differently, and some of those things certainly raise eyebrows among friends and family. Not that it matters to me, since we make what we think are the best, safest choices for our babies, but one choice in particular seems to garner a LOT of public opinion, so I thought I'd explain it here.

Our kids are extended rear-facers when it comes to car seats. Shocked that can cause a lot of talk? Kids facing backwards in a car seat past the typical age of 1? Really? Yes, actually--it seems that many people think that it is dangerous, strange and something they absolutely must comment on (even random strangers in the grocery store parking lot like to tell us our car seats are installed incorrectly).

First, I guess I should put some numbers out there. The old advice from the American Academy of Pediatrics was that babies could be turned forward-facing at one year AND 20 pounds (which, unfortunately some people misread to mean OR and turned babies at less than a year, but who weighed 20 lbs.) The new advice from the AAP is that if "a car safety seat accommodates children rear facing to higher weights, for optimal protection, the child should remain rear facing until reaching the maximum weight for the car safety seat, as long as the top of the head is below the top of the seat back."

I'll include a bunch of links about why kids should stay rear-facing until at least 2 years old, but the bottom line is that it is a much, much safer way for kids to ride. One study demonstrated that kids under 2 who ARE rear-facing are 75% less likely to die or sustain serious injury in a car accident--those are odds I want working on my side, not against me.

Caitlyn stayed rear-facing until 2, and then we moved her back to rear-facing when she was a bit over 2.5. She stayed that way until she was 3.5, and the only reason we flipped her forward was because she started to get motion sickness. Because she only weighs 30 pounds and her car seat safely rearfaces up to 33 pounds, she could probably stay rear-facing for another year. It was certainly a hard choice for us, but when we looked at the studies on safety, the MOST critical ages to remain rear-facing are kids under 2, although it is a safer option for all kids, as long as they are in a seat that can accommodate that position. Had she not stared getting sick in the car, you can bet that little girl would still be riding rear-facing.

Lorelei is almost 2, and we have no plans to turn her forward anytime soon. She weighs around 22 pounds, and her car seat can also safely rear-face until 33 pounds. She is happy and comfortable in that position, and most importantly, she is safe.

Comments that we hear all the time are:
Aren't they uncomfortable that way? No, they seem to be just fine! It seems to be much easier to sleep in a rear-facing car seat since their heads do not flop forward.

Don't you have to turn them when their legs touch the seat? Won't their legs break in a crash? No! There is not a single documented incident of a child breaking a leg in an accident due to a rear-facing car seat. My kids prop their feet on the seat, bend their legs or fold them.

My doctor said I needed to turn my baby at 10 months because of his weight. Isn't that right? No, your doctor is a moron, and apparently failed to pay attention in anatomy. The reason there is an age and weight guideline is because of how an infant's neck muscles and ligaments develop and strengthen. Even if a baby meets the weight guideline, he is just not strong enough to ride safely forward-facing. And the AAP's own guidelines recognize that.

Car seat manufacturer's now make seats that allow rear-facing up to 45 pounds! In other countries, such as Sweden, this is the norm, and it is much safer for kids. Because it is not the norm in our country, you will certainly get strange looks if you choose to keep your kids rear-facing past one year old. However, you'll know that you are keeping your child safer.

I'm not trying to convert anyone (well, maybe I am), but it is a subject I feel strongly about. I always advocate doing whatever works for your family, but see if some of these links don't give you pause.

Here are some of my favorite resources:

And just so you know, the girls are going to be harnessed in a 5-point harness for a LONG time, too! Adult seat belts are not meant for little bodies, and our girls are tiny. I'm sure Caitlyn will be mad when she gets to elementary school, and she is still harnessed in a car seat, while her friends get to ride in boosters or without any seat whatsoever. Oh well. There is a huge body of evidence as to what is safest for her and Lorelei when it comes to car seats, and THAT is what I care about.
And here is one reason why. (Warning--you will probably cry. I've seen it several times and I cry still.)

2 comments:

  1. Ashely,

    I think you are simply terrific! I am so grateful for your friendship, but I am also so thankful for the wealth of information that you truly are.

    I hadn't spent too much time contimplating the possibility of keeping my FUTURE children rear facing, until I began reading your blogs about it. I can definitely tell you that after reading all of your blogs regarding the issue, including this one, I would absolutely choose to keep my children rear facing for as long as possible.

    Thanks for all of the information and stay encouraged with all of the parenting choices that you guys are making... they are sound, educated and although some may not be popular.... they are your own (and that is all that matters). Too many people conform and just go with the "popular" idea / choice / trend and at what cost? Kudos to you and Jason for being trailblazers!

    Hugs to the Family.

    Liza

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very informative, I think toddlers look far more uncomfortable riding forwards than they would rear-facing. I hate to see my neices heads lop forward when they nap.

    Caitlyn may not be upset about being in a five point harness in kindergarden. My parents took me out of a carseat at whatever age was the norm then, definately before four, as I remember riding in the car at that age. However, I wished I could have had a carseat/booster for a long time, maybe up to seven, because I wanted to be taller so that I could see out of the windows better.

    So, if she begins to whine, maybe start pointing out the things that she wouldn't be able to see out of the window otherwise. Unless that too causes motion sickness.

    ReplyDelete