Friday, April 10, 2009

They grow up so fast!

I swear, sometimes Caitlyn makes me feel like I need to be doing mini lessons with her all the time. She picks stuff up very quickly, and she remembers everything. A couple of weeks ago, we found out by accident that she can spell her name. We'd never worked on it- this is the kind of thing she does all the time.

Another unusual thing that she knows all about is her body. Back in January, she became obsessed with an anatomy book for kids at the bookstore. Every time we are in Barnes and Noble, she wants to look at (and buy!) this book, but Mama refuses to pay $22 because I think that is terribly overpriced. So, poor Caitlyn is relegated to looking at it once a week or so. Honestly, I probably should just buy it for her because she has learned a lot from it, and the book itself is really well done. Caitlyn knows most major bones, where to find some of her organs, the parts of a cell- she just thinks that stuff is fascinating. When we saw Body Worlds in San Diego, she was enthralled for the entire hour and  a half that we toured the exhibit.

Yesterday, she fell and bit her tongue, causing blood to dribble down her chin. As I was cleaning her up, she freaked out about the "red stuff." I told her that it was just a little bit of blood and that she was fine.

"Is that the blood from my heart?????" She was utterly horrified, but I reassured her that it was ok. Once she calmed down, she thought it was really cool to see her blood. Her last words on the subject were, "Look at my blood- it is so beautiful."

What am I supposed to do with this kid? :)

1 comment: