Wednesday, August 26, 2009

End of summer

The end of summer always makes me a bit sad. I'm not sure why, maybe just remnants of being a kid and realizing that instead of the endless sleepovers and pool days of summer, school was looming on the horizon. 

Summer brings a lazy, laid back attitude and schedule. Some days the kids don't take a bath. Some days we wear our swimsuits all day long. Some days we have fruit, cheese and sandwiches for dinner. Those things just don't seem to fly during the rest of the year. 

Now we are back to school, back to dance classes, back to work. Back, back, back. Part of me wants to just scream to the world that I AM NOT DONE WITH SUMMER YET!!!!! It went so quickly, and I'd really like to have a few more beach days, a few more lazy evenings, a few more vacations.

The poetic part of my soul wants to write some hokey, sentimental crap about summer being a metaphor for childhood . . . but I'm not gonna do that. I think it just suffices to say that these shorter days and crisper breezes tweak my heart just a bit.

2 comments:

  1. You said this perfectly, I feel exactly the same way. We've had such a wonderful summer here, it just makes it that much harder to give up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. It goes too fast doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete