Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Music to my ears

Little girls come with a lot of drama. They screech, squeal, fight and pretend in a way that little boys just don't. Things that haven't ever phased either of the boys are a HUGE deal for both Lorelei and Caitlyn, and there are days when I'm shocked that both of the girls make it through the day without a serious sister-induced injury.

Some days they fight like cats and dogs over everything from who got the "better" bowl of cheerios (and I have no idea what makes one bowl more desirable!) to who looked at whom and who was playing with a piece of paper first.

But then there are days like today, and I am reminded that they love just as fiercely as they fight.

Lorelei woke up from her nap in a grumpy mood. She could only be consoled by laying her duck pillow in my lap and rocking with me. Caitlyn came over, and started to rub Lorelei's back gently. Then, she started singing a sweet song to Lorelei, one she just made up as she went along. I'd give anything to recall all of the words, but part of it went like this:

"You are my sister, sweetheart, and I love you under the twinkling stars. Our whole family is wonderful, and I'll always take care of you when you say you are blue."

It just melted my Mama heart to see them together. I know they are going to have days where they will drive each other crazy. But, I also know they really will always take care of each other, too.

Raising sisters is amazing so far, and I'd be willing to bet it only gets better.

No comments:

Post a Comment