Sunday, April 18, 2010

Singing Songs

Both of our girls love to sing, but, unfortunately for us, they also both inherited our rather uninspiring vocal genes. If you saw my performance as Nanette in "No, No Nanette," then you know what I'm talking about!

Caitlyn's current favorite song is "Beauty and the Beast." She amazes me with her memory for song lyrics, and I'm pretty sure she has just about every Disney song memorized. But, don't pigeonhole her yet--she also loves everything by Michael Jackson, "All the Single Ladies," Jason Mraz and the Twilight soundtrack.

We taught her the traditional kid songs, too, but she likes to put her own little,odd twist on them. For example, "Rock-a-by, Baby" quickly became "Rock-a-by, Rat" in which she sings the word "rat" with croaking emphasis.

Lorelei likes to stretch her vocal cords, too. When she is not screeching or demanding something, she likes to twirl in a circle and sing, "Right here . . . now," which for the unindoctrinated, is a close version of a High School Musical Song.

Last week, we were out shopping, and it was getting perilously close to nap time. Lorelei started to get fussy, so I was trying to distract her by singing little songs (very, very quietly so no one else could hear me!). When I got to the lullaby section of my concert, I quietly crooned, "Rock-a-by . . . " at which point Lorelei interrupted me.

"RAT!" She then collapsed in a heap of giggles.

So, its official. I'm raising two odd little ducks. But, I wouldn't trade them!

And, just so you can see that I'm not exaggerating the musical "gift" the girls have, here's a little taste of their singing:

2 comments:

  1. How adorable!! She does great with the words!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is awesome. I think she is honestly ready for kid idol. =) it is right around the corner and you will be here. Kausten says "that is a nice girl and song"

    ps...can't believe how big chris is.

    ReplyDelete