Thursday, March 26, 2009

Chicken Sticks


I have to admit, when it comes to the foods I let the kids eat, I can be pretty picky. Not only am I concerned about their health, but I have two stepsons who are extremely P.I.C.K.Y eaters, and it can make mealtime difficult. (Not that it is their fault- they have a mom who is somewhat culinarily challenged and has a penchant for fast food, but it is awfully hard to feed kids who only want pasta or something from a take out bag.)

Since Caitlyn was just learning to eat, Jason and I have always tried to get her to try new things. She is a pretty adventurous eater and, among other things, likes hummus, most vegetables, seafood, sushi (just California role), spicy food, and all sorts of cheeses.  She really loves to go to Trader Joe's, where her favorite products are the black truffle flatbread, cheese curds, edamame, and any type of risotto.  The looks that we get when she asks for risotto are priceless.

Lorelei is shaping up to be quite the little eater, too. She wants nothing to do with anyone feeding her, but she will try anything as long as she can be the one to shovel it in her mouth! Some of her more unusual favorites are pickles, lemons, and celery.

I really love to cook, and I *mostly* make nutritious, homemade food for our family. Even when we were in the baby food stage, I steamed, mashed, blended and froze almost all of the baby food the girls ate. It was easy, and I could ensure that they were getting a pure meal made with excellent produce or ingredients.

However, as any mom knows, there are days when you just want something quick and easy for your kids to munch on. Nutritional value takes a slight backseat to simply being more convenient on those days that everyone is busy, the kids are cranky, Mama is tired and Daddy has a late class. In our house, this means one of a couple of different standbys, mostly things like baked chicken nuggets, a quick burger or tacos, or take out for those of us with teeth.  

For Lorelei, this means one of the most disgusting sounding and smelling things I've knowingly allowed my kids to eat- chicken sticks. These foul little things are packaged in a jar, cushioned by  gelatinous goo that reminds me of cat food. The ingredient list is not terrible, but these things are one very small step up from vienna sausage. And they stink. Big time stink. So, I rinse them off under running water before I give them to her. How does Lorelei feel about them? She loves them, just the same as Caitlyn and Josh both did. In fact, I'm sure that in his first year, Chris loved them also. 

I, on the other hand, hate them other than the fact that they are convenient. Just imagine nursing a baby who has devoured a couple of these lovely chicken sticks. It doesn't matter how thoroughly I wash Lorelei's hands and face, the stench of these things lingers until after a true bath.  So, I end up with what I like to call chicken boob- lovely female breast adorned with just a hint of smelly chicken stick slobber. Just writing that made me gag a bit. 

Luckily, once Lorelei has drifted off to sleep after eating, I can quickly rinse off and rid myself of the chicken curse.  And luckily, she only has the foul (or fowl?) things about once a week when our schedule is really tight.

I wonder if this will be one of the things I look back on with fondness? Somehow, I think not.

1 comment: