Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The Mom Body



Being a mom is not supposed to be a sexy thing. Could a designer actually sell something called "Mom Jeans?" Apparently, once women become moms, they are supposed to turn in their low rise jeans for a camel toe and a one piece bathing suit, complete with industrial strength spandex.

Those who know me best know that I am not a follower, so I'm bucking this trend, too! I REFUSE to start dressing like some frumpy dump just because I happen to have two little girls in tow. I may not be rocking the latest trends (mostly because I hate the current 80s look), but I'm also not going to become some Martha Stewart look alike in khakis and a cardigan. To avoid offending anyone, let me clarify. I think khakis and a cardigan can be cute, professional and the perfect look for some- it is just not my look unless I am actually at work.

Granted, I have never been the height of fashion, so maybe I do look like the stereotypical mom??? I like to wear low rise jeans and comfortable shirts, cute flats, cute jackets and bold colors. I LOVE my bikini, and I'm not planning to trade that in for a few years yet.

I like to keep in good shape, and I was blessed with some fabulous genes. Thanks, Mom. Thanks, Booboo. My grandmother came away from pregnancy with nary a stretch mark. My mom has maybe one, and I have none. Yep, that's right. Two pregnancies. Two BIG bellies. Zero stretch marks. Like I said- fabulous genes. And like I said- love the bikini.

However, even if I had stretch marks, I would not let that change my mind. I grew two great little girls inside this little body, and I'm not afraid to show the world. Do I still look like I did at 18? Probably not, considering back then I was coaching gymnastics 4 nights a week and working out almost every day. I wear the same size I did back then, and that works for me.
And if the day comes that I find myself a bit bigger, I guess I will just move up a size (or two or three!?!?- and be excited to shop outside of teeny bopper shops!) and continue to seek out cute clothes that keep me covered, keep me running after the girls and keep me away from the soccer mom persona.
Ladies, buck the trend with me. Show off those mom bods, and let's teach our girls that women can be moms and still look great!

No comments:

Post a Comment