Saturday, May 16, 2009

A Busy Week

The girls and I have been busy this week, as summer begins to ramp up and more activities are available to us each day! We had gorgeous weather this week, for the most part, and we took advantage of it with a picnic down in the colonial area.

The Cheese Shop is one of our local favorites, and it is a great place to pick up all the makings of a fabulous, outdoor feast. We bought whole wheat and french bread- really great, homemade bread with a chewy texture and perfect crust- as well as some of our favorite cheeses. Caitlyn is somewhat of a cheese monger, and she selected an herb Havarti, a nice blue cheese, and an English Colby. We also got some honey sticks for dessert- none for Lorelei, though since she is still too young.

We lounged in the sun, snacked on our picnic fare, and chased some squirrels. Moments like that remind me why I love being at home with my girls. (Of course, moments like Lorelei pooping on the dressing room floor in Target, while Caitlyn throws a fit remind me how much I miss working anywhere BUT at home!)

Yesterday, I took the girls to Busch Gardens for the afternoon. Caitlyn has changed so much in the last year. On our last visit, the only ride she would ride by herself was the kiddie swings, and even then, Jason or I had to help her get on and off. This year, she didn't even want me to wait in line with her for the swings. She told me, "You stay with Lorelei. I'm a big girl." And off she pranced to wait in the very short line, alone. Of course, I was no more than 20 feet away, in full sight of her, and there were only 2 other children waiting, but she really didn't need me. She smiled and waved from the line and the ride, and I was proud of her.

She also rode the airplane ride solo, something we've never been able to get her to try before. She even made it fly high in the sky, all by herself. And she loved it so much, she rode it again! I guess she is discovering that her inner daredevil can have one heck of a time at the amusement park!

I am so glad she is brave. As a kid, I was a total wimp and HATED rollercoasters with a passion. They terrified me, and I really, really wanted to love them. Can you imagine how UNfun it is to go to a theme park with all of your friends and be the kid who sits and watches while all of your friends ride the thrill rides? Not much fun, I promise. I recall two instances vividly- one was at Astroworld on the Batman roller coaster and the other was in Germany on a ride called the Euromir. At Astroworld, my friends literally made me ride, and I screamed the entire time. No, I did not think it was fun afterward- I hated it! In Germany, I rode the Euromir because I was trying to be as cool as they thought I was. I hated that one, too.

As an adult, I've kept trying various roller coasters. Some I love (Space Mountain, Big Bad Wolf), and some I never want to step foot on again (California Screamin', Tower of Terror). This summer I have plans to try Expedition Everest and Rockin' Rollercoaster while we are at Disney World. 

I'll brave them and smile, but only because I want Caitlyn to grow up loving that stuff, not sitting on the sidelines while everyone else is riding!

No comments:

Post a Comment