Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Leavin' on a jet plane

Right now, I really should be packing. We are leaving on Friday to go to NYC for 4 days, and I'm still not sure what I'm going to take with us, but right now I am just not motivated to get moving!

We travel so much with the girls that I kind of have a routine down. I usually make sure all of the laundry is done a couple of days before we leave so that there is no chance that the shirt or dress I really want to take is dirty. Then, I lay out all of the outfits, socks, shoes, hairbows, etc. I usually pack everything except toiletries a couple days beforehand, and then I pack that stuff the night before we leave. I also pack a carry on bag for the girls a couple days ahead of time, which means that any toys I pack have not been seen for 2 days, making them exciting and new.

Honestly, I don't take much on the plane. Caitlyn is happy looking at the Sky Mall catalog, so I try not to pack more than a doll and a couple of books. Lorelei gets one or two small toys, and they each get a sippy cup. For a long time, I packed snacks, but the flight attendants always give any kids on the flight a ton of treats, so now I save the space. We tend to travel light, and so far *knock on wood* it has worked well.

One thing I always have to pack is my planning folder or binder, the thickness of which depends on the length and type of vacation. For our laid back trip to LA in March, the planning folder was no more than a dozen pieces of paper with hotel, rental car and ticket information with a rough itinerary written on the front of the folder. For our Disney World trip coming up in 2 weeks, the folder has all of the usual information, plus pages of touring plans, hidden Mickey info, tips and secrets about each park, dining reservations, transportation schedules, and lists of menus and snacks that qualify under the dining plan. Our NYC folder is somewhere in the middle.

I'm a little OCD about planning, and my family gives me a hard time about it. However, no one is laughing when it is dinner time, and Ashley has already made reservations that taken into consideration preferences and allergies! And no one is laughing when we have a short wait into an attraction because I've pre-purchased our tickets (at a discount rate) AND we encounter no crowds because I've looked up so many tips and tricks!

The truth is that I love to plan trips. I like the research angle, I like to organize the information, I like to pack and get ready to leave, and then I really love to be out in the world, seeing something new.


2 comments:

  1. I love that you love to plan. You so helped us find great deals for our cruise. Believe me I may be calling in August. We are hoping to go to Disney for Kausten's 2nd birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. totally with you on the ocd travel planning - maybe we should open a travel agency together! i went to DW for the first time last year and now have this constant itching to go back (and i don't even have kiddos yet). are you planning to do all 4 parks? i REALLY think you should try Expedition Everest - momma needs to get out of her comfort zone and through some caution to the wind :)

    ReplyDelete