Thursday, May 7, 2009

Yes, I made that.

Last year, I decided that I wanted to start a new tradition for the kids. On their birthdays, rather than just go to the bakery and buy some generic, cartoony creation with plastic figures, I decided to take requests and make the cakes myself.  The kids get to decide everything- cake flavor, filling, frosting flavor, colors, decorations, even shape! They have a blast, and they love to help make their very own birthday cake.

My nostalgic dream is that one day they will remember fondly the love and care that went into each cake and smile when they recall how much hard work went into each cake creation. Reality being what it is, they will probably just whine about how I never bought them a cake from the store!

Last year's cakes were a bit hit. Josh wanted a "real" basketball, Caitlyn wanted a beach cake with a mermaid, crab, and dolphins (she is quite particular), and Chris wanted a pink and purple Hannah Montana cake. Hey, I said the kids get to decide everything, didn't I?

This year, Caitlyn informed me that she wanted a pink princess castle cake with all of the princesses on it. She also wanted sparkles, and she requested pink cake with strawberry frosting.  

I might have actually broken a small sweat listening to her litany of specific requests, and I am quite sure that I began to rethink the whole cake tradition. But, how do you tell your preschooler, who thinks Mama can do ANYTHING, that you can't? So, I hit the internet. I mean, I've watched Ace of Cakes- surely, it can't be that difficult, right?

There are hundreds of cake websites with pictures, directions, tips and discussion forums. I spent a couple of hours (yeah right- I spent a couple of WEEKS!) figuring out how to build this castle cake. I learned the ins and outs of fondant (good base, strong arms, great roller). I learned the tricks to stacking cakes (freeze them). I learned how to support tiers (straws embedded in the cake), how to make a cake board (foam core), and how to temper chocolate for dipping (practice!).

Finally, I felt ready to try the cake. On Day 1, Jason took the girls to the aquarium, while I attempted my first batch of marshmallow fondant. It was much easier than I thought, and I quickly covered the square block I planned to use for the top of the cake. Ummm, yeah.  Watching Ace of Cakes does not an expert make. Fondant is tricky, and I had to do some patchwork on the back of the block, but overall, it worked out well. 

Day 2 was chocolate day, and I spent naptime in the kitchen melting chocolate and dipping ice cream cones to use for turrets and towers. I don't think I will ever get all of the pink sparkle sugar off the floor. I also baked the cakes, so that I could freeze them overnight.

Day 3 was assembly day. I managed to keep the girls happy in the kitchen while I made another batch of fondant, rolled it out, and draped the cakes, which I leveled and stacked during their naps. Jason took the girls to pick up dinner, and I worked on the cake for a couple of hours before it was done. And it was precious! I was honestly tickled with myself at how great the cake looked. Disney princesses peeked out of piped windows, there was a drawbridge, towers, sparkles, and tiny flags proclaiming, "Happy 3rd birthday, Princess Caitlyn!"
Caitlyn loved it, too, and she would sit and gaze at it for minutes on end. She declared it beautiful and her very best favorite cake- a compliment of the highest order. Her little friends also loved the cake.

The best part? The cake was really yummy! My biggest fear the night before we had her party was that the cake would look pretty, but taste awful!

**Caitlyn's actual birthday is June 18. We had her party early this year so that all of her friends from Mother's Day Out would be able to join us!


1 comment:

  1. I have the same tradition Ashley! I love the idea that they will one day remember all the homemade cakes (all the while also wondering if they'd more fondly remember a store bought LOL).

    BTW, it is BEAUTIFUL!!! You're a great mom!!!

    ReplyDelete