Sunday, July 5, 2009

Dos Suenos

If I could figure out how to add the tilde over the letter n, then that would read "two dreams" in Spanish. While I've given up on that, I have figured out that is a perfect metaphor for Jason and I.

We are literally two dreams who have come together to live out our lives. Jason grew up in a highly dysfunctional family in California, while I grew up in more typical American fashion (i.e. with parents who divorced and remarried) near Houston, Texas. He grew up to be very successful in school, in spite of his crazy upbringing, and I grew up to be very successful in school because of my upbringing, where education was prized. We both wanted to have a family, see the world and work in meaningful jobs. We both wanted to find a special person we could relate to.

In what is becoming a tradition for the 21st century, we each had a so-called "starter marriage" to people who were totally wrong for us- unfortunate, but at least we learned a lot about what was important to each of us in a partner. 

Now, here we are. We have gone through some of the best and worst times of our lives together. We have supported each other in life-altering decisions, created a strong, united partnership that places our relationship as the top priority for each of us. When I have a wonderful day, I know that I get to share it with my best friend. When Jason has a hard day, he knows that I will be there, waiting to hold his hand and see it through. 

We have the beautiful family each of us so desired. We have so many opportunities for success in the workplace and in life. We are traveling to see the world together. We have blended our two dreams into one, while still honoring the desires of each of our hearts. We have found true love, and more than that, we have found someone in each other who is work working for, worth sacrificing for, worth all it takes to make a marriage last.

I honestly think we have it all.

1 comment:

  1. That's beautiful Ashley, it's nice that you don't take any of it for granted.

    You both are very lucky!

    ReplyDelete